This program is designed to assist organizations across the continuum of older adult care settings to remain in compliance with HIPPA requirements during a pandemic.
• Refresh your knowledge of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and its Minimum Necessary Standard.
• Learn how HIPAA and Minnesota privacy laws apply in a pandemic.
• Revisit who your organization communicates with (business associates, covered entities, public health officials and the families, friends and others involved in a resident’s care) and what information you can share with them.
• Understand the permitted and required disclosures of PHI to prevent a serious and imminent threat and how a Minimum Standard applies.
• Know what you can and cannot disclose to the media and others not involved in a resident’s care – best practices and practical tips.
• Describe instances when a resident’s information can be shared without authorization.
KATHERINE B. ILTEN, Attorney, Fredrikson & Byron, P.A., Minneapolis and JODI BOYNE, Vice President of Public Relations, LeadingAge Minnesota, St. Paul