Behavioral Health Module #4 - Chemical Health Issues
Original Date: Monday, January 22, 2018
Presented by: John Brose, Ph.D., LP, LMFT, LADC and Director, Associated Clinic of Psychology, Minneapolis
Staff in care center, assisted living and adult day programs
• Housing Managers
• LTC Directors of Nursing
• Assisted Living Home Care Nurse Managers
• Adult Day Program Directors
• Social Workers
• Therapeutic Recreation/Activity Professionals
• Other interested staff
• Recognize that the current opioid crisis extends to older adult services settings and what you as a provider need to be aware of.
• Know what to look for when dealing with residents/clients who suffer from chronic pain to avoid opioid addiction.
• Discuss the challenges and approaches to caring for persons who are dealing with both substance abuse issues and depression and/or personality disorders.
• Learn how to conduct an effective room check to identify if various substances are present and need to be removed or addressed.
• Appreciate the fact that a high percentage of older adults can recover from substance abuse, often without formal outside treatment programs, and discover what you can do to help them succeed.