Behavioral Health Module #5 - Appropriate Use of Meds
Original Date: Wednesday, January 24, 2018
Presented by: John Brose, Ph.D., LP, LMFT, LADC and Director and Justin Miles, Ph.D., Psychiatrist, Associated Clinic of Psychology, Minneapolis
Staff in care center, assisted living and adult day programs
• Housing Managers
• LTC Directors of Nursing
• Assisted Living Home Care Nurse Managers
• Adult Day Program Directors
• Social Workers
• Therapeutic Recreation/Activity Professionals
• Other interested staff
• Learn about the various categories of medications and the mental illnesses they are designed to treat so that you have a basic understanding of current prescribing practices.
• Discuss when it is most appropriate to treat a mental illness with medication versus therapy or other non-pharmacological approaches.
• Know what questions you should be asking prescribers to get the best care for their residents/clients – such as the minimum effective dose, the target symptoms and what you want them to be, etc.
• Receive best practices for regular and periodic evaluation of medications used for behavioral health purposes.